If you’ve visited Mix & Match Meme, you’ve discovered an eclectic mix of songs, poems, and illustrations that are delightfully varied. I like a lot of variety in my reading material, and I can always count on Meme to provide me something new. Sometimes it’s silly, sometimes serious, always unexpected – and I like that. Meme had a crisis of faith a few months back – blogging is so much work. Is it worth it? I’m glad that she decided that it was worth it. I believe that the creative drive we express is when we are closest to God/Goddess, the ultimate creator(s).
On August 26th, Mix & Match Meme nominated Peace With My Life for the Reader
Appreciation Award. Unfortunately, I was leaving town for business that day and was without my computer for a week and couldn’t respond immediately. My how time has flown! But I haven’t forgotten Meme’s kindness, so today I wanted to respond and pass it on.
The qualifications for the Reader Appreciation award include telling 7 things about yourself and nominating 5 blogs. Hmmm. What do I want to disclose and what should remain private?
- I just got a new iPhone and love it. It’s much faster on every score than my old
Android phone. Thank goodness my carrier finally made it available; I’m hooked.
- I read Steve Job’s biography and was pleasantly surprised. I learned a number of things and love his products even more now that I understand why they were made the way they were (see above bullet).
- I write so much as a part of my job, that sometimes I don’t want to write anything when I come home. But legal writing is a real drag, and sometimes I can’t wait to come home and use an adjective or adverb now and then (blog to the rescue!).
- I not only have the usual cats and dogs, I also have (rescue) parrots in my house. They are just as loud and messy as I expected them to be, but they have surprised me with warmth, intelligence, and affection. And I just love watching them fly in the house.
- I was born and raised in West Texas – a rough, stark and unrelenting landscape. When I moved to Colorado 22 ½ years ago, I found
the landscape and the people more polished, varied, and flexible, just like the landscape. I don’t understand it, but I’ll take it. I’ve stopped saying that people are the same all over and started saying that we are the same deep down.
- I have a husband and four children, who don’t want to be discussed in the blog.
- The funny thing is, when I started blogging, I thought the only ones who would read it would be my family. I never thought strangers would read it. For the most part, except for my husband and mother, only non-family read it. I can’t call y’all strangers anymore; I refer to you fondly as “my blogging friends.”
Enough about me. Let’s talk about my nominations! I will nominate blogs, and hope that they eventually pass on the nomination in the spirit of sharing about ourselves, getting to know each other, and introducing each other to some pretty cool blogs. If it’s bad timing, do it when you can. If it’s too much work, we understand. If you’re confused by the whole “nomination” process for an award that never really gets awarded, get over it. I did! Here are the blogs that I’d like to nominate today.
- http://zenhabits.net/start/ -Zen Habits is a professional blogger, so maybe it doesn’t belong here. But the blog has lots of good advice and a minimalist perspective on things. For bloggers, you might want to check out his top posts, which includes “The Number 1 Habit of Highly Creative People” (http://zenhabits.net/creative-habit/) and Beating the Anxiety of Online Reading (http://zenhabits.net
/online-reading/) which gives a graceful philosophy for dealing with your email inbox overwhelm. “Get Off Your Butt: 16 Ways to Get Motivated When You’re in a Slump” (http://zenhabits.net/get-off-your-butt-16-ways-to-get-motivated-when-youre-in-a-slump/) might also be good reading now and then.
- Think and Ponder (http://thinkandponder.com/) – Renea lets loose with a PG-13-rated rant now and then. Frankly, part of having peace in my life is letting loose and venting some of those frustrations sometimes (off-line) so they don’t build up and I explode. Clearly, Think and Ponder serves this purpose for Renea, and she says it wonderfully.
- The Lonely Dogs (http://thelonelydogs.wordpress.com/) – The ones living on the
ranch don’t appear lonely at all. No doubt they were all lonely before their rescue. And the writer knows many lonely dogs looking for a new home. The photography is great, the storyline minimalist (feel good without a long read!) and the dogs are awesome.
- Serenity Spell (http://serenityspell.com/) – Serenity features wonderful photography in Florida (always a welcome view when it’s cold and snowing here), highlighting the wildlife there. She’s also an advocate for the environment, feral cat assistance, and many things that I’m also interested in. Visit for the photography, stay for the gracious respect and concern she has for the natural world.
- Our Furever Family (http://ourfureverfamily.com/) – Furever Family is a real-life
dealing-with-dogs blog that has a nice twist. She publishes love stories from readers – the kind where a person finds the companion animal that supports and loves him/her ever-after. You can’t beat that with a stick. And she still loves her dogs, even when they ignore the dog-door and poop in the house or track in dirt. She copes; she doesn’t try to train them into compliant automatons (as far as I can tell). Real life love with animals – pretty good stuff.
Thanks so much for your kind words. It’s truly an honor to be nominated like this. And it’s the readers, and their stories, that really make my blog so special to me.
Thanks for giving a forum for those wonderful stories — and your own too.
Please consider sharing a love story from your own pack…
Thanks. We have quite a few we could tell…..
I bet! I’m looking forward to it. 🙂
Thank you and I returned the honor to others at http://thinkandponder.com/2013/01/02/1-2-3-4-who-do-we-adore-blogger-reader-appreciation-awards/
Wow! I’m impressed at how quickly you could turn that around. I’m in awe.
Thanks so very much for the nomination!! You’re so kind… And I can’t wait to check out the other nods! 🙂 What sweet little fellas you adopted — WOW! Just wonderful.
Thanks for such inspiring and beautiful posts!
Reblogged this on MetaRead360 Small Press presents and commented:
Very much appreciated…with or without awards!
Wow! Thanks for your support!
You’re very welcome…sharing the love of writing!
As your mother, I nominate you for a great daughter. Your blogs are always interesting and even when/if I don’t agree with your perspective, I appreciate them because I learn something new about you. That makes us closer. Words are wonderful things. I always think of tears as a part of ourselves that reveal our soul. Well, words are a part of us that reveal our mind. What better communicators could God have created than words and tears?
When I read your blogs, I always remember you as hardly two years old, sitting in your high chair at the table with a pencil and paper writing a story for me. It was the most important part of every day : quiet time after nap time. Little did I know what a wonderful gift that quiet time would be giving you the rest of your life.
Thanks for supporting my writing (all my life) and my blog this year. And thanks for encouraging my photography.
Congrats and lovely to hear more about you, your furry and feathered family. Lovely nominees too.
I am scrolling down my READER and all at once I see my little gravatar. 🙂
Was it really four months ago that I nominated you for the award? Where does the time go? How we all have changed and hopefully grown wiser with our blogging experience. Oh I have a crisis about every week!
Recently I was looking in my Draft Folder and found some posts from last summer that were still waiting to see the front page. They didn’t sound like anything I would write today. I think they were “just in case” posts. If nothing better came along, I could grab one of those.
Thank you for your kind words and the information about yourself. You have nominated some blogs I have not read and will head there soon. 🙂
Thanks again Mixed up Meme!