Category: Community

snowy tree stumps

Where will the Hawks Rest Now?

I pass a couple of small groves of mature trees on my almost daily trip to take my youngest daughter to school. I love these mature trees, and the local hawks are seen daily in their branches as they scout for prey. Some of the trees had nests, […]

2013 in review

The WordPress.com stats helper monkeys prepared a 2013 annual report for this blog. Here’s an excerpt: A New York City subway train holds 1,200 people. This blog was viewed about 3,800 times in 2013. If it were a NYC subway train, it would take about 3 trips to […]

orange blossoms

Celebration of Joy or a Display of Wealth?

One day my prince will come! Right? If you pay attention to popular TV, books, movies, greeting cards, candy makers, and the like, everyone knows that no woman’s life really starts until their true love arrives (and it’s always heterosexual – not!). I won’t go on about my […]

barrel cactus, thorns

Ohhh, the Pressure!

I wanted to talk about blogging angst because I’ve seen so much of it lately. But what I have to say really can apply to many things. Bloggers start blogging because they like it.People blog for their own reasons, but then discover an entire community of people interested […]

Schnauffen Peagle, schnauzer-auffenpinscher-poodle-beagle mix dog, dog, black and tan shaggy dog

Miracle Dog

Earlier this month, we had a family emergency.  I could tell on Friday that my two-year-old dog, Tribble, didn’t feel well. She vomited a little, which wasn’t unusual; our dogs had each vomited once or twice in the past week, but it they were fine the next day. […]

Koi, water lily pond

Guppy among Goldfish

I dreamed of fish. There was a large aquarium full of blunt, common, plain goldfish, all the same color. Swimming amongst them was one fan-tailed guppy that was the same color. At first glance, it looked just the same as all the other fish, but it moved differently, […]